Here are some of the hot stories in small business news this week:
- Business Tax Index: Best to Worst Tax Systems for Entrepreneurship and Small Business: The Small Business & Entrepreneurship Council has released its 2010 data, finding that the five best tax systems for small businesses are in South Dakota, Texas, Nevada, Wyoming, and Washington. Be sure to click through to find out where your state ranks — and especially which states rank near the bottom.
- Bank of America Extends $3.4 Billion to Small Businesses in First Quarter: Graebler.com reports that Bank of America is helping American small business owners by extending billions of dollars in credit, according to its Lending and Investing Initiative Report. The bank has also frozen “small business credit card interest rates for existing balances.”
- Small Businesses Add 66,000 New Jobs in April: MarketWatch shows just how much small business growth is helping the economy through job creation, making the total increase 300,000 new jobs since June 2009. Compensation also rose, which is another good sign.
- How to Bolster Your Small Business for the Economic Recovery: Although this article comes out of Simply Business, a UK-focused site, there are lots of great tips for how you can get your business ready for an economic upswing. Areas you should be watching include cashflow, stock levels, and overall growth.
- 5 Steps to Better Small Business Marketing: The Marketing Daily Blog at Media Post Publications shares some excellent ideas for how you can “give your small business marketing a spring cleaning and burnish your brand without having to spend much money.” Sounds tempting, doesn’t it? One excellent suggestion is that you dip into social media if you haven’t yet. And if haven’t yet, why not start by joining the LegalZoom Facebook page, which is where we first told you about this story earlier in the week?
What’s new in your small business world?