Small biz guru and author Ja-Nae Duane wants to help you start your business! Just retweet this article with hashtag #bizwith100 for a chance to win a signed copy of Ja-Nae’s book How to Start Your Business with $100. (See below for full details.)
Many small businesses are discovering the benefits of social media. I know it has worked wonders for my own business. It is an inexpensive and effective way for you to endear yourself to current customers while also marketing yourself to potential customers.
I talk to a lot of business owners who don’t even know where to begin, or don’t know how it can really help their business. Is this you? I suggest you read this article from Hubspot, which lays out how 3 small businesses used social media to their advantage. If it doesn’t convince you, I’m not sure what will.
I know it can feel daunting to jump into, so here are 50+ baby steps you can take to get a feeling for what is involved before you take the full plunge:
- Use Twitter to monitor client conversations
- Use Twitter to respond to client complaints
- Use Twitter to run promotions and contests
- Tweet about upcoming changes in your organization
- Use Twitter Search to monitor not only yourself, but your competitors
- Use Twitter Search to monitor words that correspond to your business (for example, Chicago Divorce Lawyer)
- When someone tweets they need a Chicago Divorce Lawyer, direct message them with your information
- Ask questions on Twitter that you want to know the answer to (that corresponds with your business) For example: what are you looking for in a divorce lawyer?
- Share interesting articles about your industry that positions you as an expert in your field
- When creating a Facebook page, make a fan Page, not a personal Profile
- Completely fill out your Facebook page, it builds trust
- Read the Facebook rules about business accounts
- Keep personal parts of your Facebook profile private
- Use appropriate pictures on your Facebook fan page
- Add your Facebook URL to your website and email so customers can connect
- Follow the steps to create a Facebook vanity URL
- Share useful articles and links on Facebook
- Market your products on Facebook by running promotions
- Buy Facebook ads that target your audience
- Update your Facebook fan page on a regular basis
- Answer customer questions and requests using Facebook
- Start a business blog
- Write every post with this question in mind: “what value am I providing my readers?”
- Try to keep posts under 500 words to keep your reader’s attention
- Connect with other bloggers
- Leave comments on other blogs
- Respond to every single comment left on your blog
- Publish at least once a week, but hopefully more
- Use your blog to update customers on sales, promotions, interesting news etc.
- Post your blog to Facebook and Twitter
- Make sure your blog is easy to find on your company website
- Update your company website to include your Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, and blog links
- Pay attention to your SEO
- Write all blog posts with keywords in mind
- Do everything in your power (including spending some money) to make your website SEO optimized
- Do the research necessary to find the best keywords for your business
- Make sure to have a LinkedIn profile
- Promote your blog via LinkedIn
- Create LinkedIn ad campaigns
- Join LinkedIn groups that will help you network
- Get LinkedIn recommendations from clients and former co-workers
- If you have an amazing power point, share it on slideshare.net
- Make it easy for customers to find you on social media
- Guest post on as many blogs as possible
- Try to take as many social media relationships offline as possible
- If you’re a storefront, host events that you promote via social media
- Read as much as you can about social media
- Build an email list
- Send email newsletters and email blasts enough to be remembered but not so much as to be annoying
- Write press releases and send them into the world to promote sales and promotions
- Be active and consistent on social media.
How to Start Your Business with $100 Book Giveaway Extended
Retweet the post titled “50+ Social Media Tips for Small Businesses” between November 8, 2010, at 8 a.m. Pacific Time (“PT”) and November 10, 2010, at 12 a.m. PT with the hashtag #bizwith100 for your chance to win a copy of How to Start Your Business with $100 written by Ja-Nae Duane!
Ja-Nae Duane has generously donated and signed copies of her book How to Start Your Business with $100 to be given away to three lucky winners!
Entering is easy:
1. Retweet the post titled “50+ Social Media Tips for Small Businesses” between November 8, 2010, at 8 a.m. PT and November 10, 2010, at 12 a.m. PT with the hashtag #bizwith100.
2. Three winners will be chosen on November 10, 2010, from the eligible entries!
For official rules regarding the giveaway click here.