LegalZoom Blog

Legal news and small business tips.

Does My Mom Need an Attorney and/or CPA After Receiving a Large Inheritance?

no comments yet

Joe Escalante

Hi Joe,

Mom is going to receive a huge estate from her community property husband when he passes in the near term. All of her attorneys are the family attorneys that manage millions for the large family. Is it prudent for her to hire a personal attorney and CPA that is only looking out for her interest only?

- Ralph Stokes


Barely Legal Radio w/ Joe Escalante

Community property including jointly held real property is going to pass to her automatically. No need for a separate attorney to look out for her there. If she is the executor of the estate, then she’s in charge of the rest of it as well. She shouldn’t need an extra attorney in that scenario either.

If the executor, trustees, and trust administrators are people she doesn’t trust, it would be worth it to have another attorney, whom she does trust, sit down with her and go through all documents and correspondence relative to the transfer of estate assets. Good luck.

Attorney Joe Escalante answers your legal questions for free on our Facebook page every Tuesday and Friday at 10 a.m. PT.


©, Inc. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: Communications between you and LegalZoom are protected by our Privacy Policy but not by the attorney-client privilege or as work product. LegalZoom provides access to independent attorneys and self-help services at your specific direction. We are not a law firm or a substitute for an attorney or law firm. We cannot provide any kind of advice, explanation, opinion, or recommendation about possible legal rights, remedies, defenses, options, selection of forms or strategies. Your access to the website is subject to our Terms of Use.


ShareShare on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterShare on Google+Share on LinkedInEmail this to someone

Sign up for the LegalZoom newsletter!

Written by

April 23rd, 2014 at 9:00 am

Posted in Free Joe,Legal News

Tagged with