LegalZoom Blog

Legal news and small business tips.

What Are All the Documents/Licenses I May Need to Start My Business?

no comments yet

Joe EscalanteHi Joe,

Hello, I am looking to start an online boutique selling both goods bought from wholesalers and goods that I will produce. I am looking at the DBA registration package to file a business name, but I am not sure what other documents or licenses I may need. How do I get started?

Yadi Mao


Barely Legal Radio w/ Joe Escalante

The documents you will need vary by state and local jurisdiction. You are on the right track with the DBA. You may need a city business license and depending on the kind of goods, other licenses might apply, like if you are selling food, medical or hazardous chemicals. Check with the state and local licensing agencies to see what kind of businesses need special licensing.

Attorney Joe Escalante answers your legal questions for free on our Facebook page every Tuesday and Friday at 10 a.m. PT.


 Disclaimer: Communications between you and LegalZoom are protected by our Privacy Policy but not by the attorney-client privilege or as work product. LegalZoom provides access to independent attorneys and self-help services at your specific direction. We are not a law firm or a substitute for an attorney or law firm. We cannot provide any kind of advice, explanation, opinion, or recommendation about possible legal rights, remedies, defenses, options, selection of forms or strategies. Your access to the website is subject to our Terms of Use.

ShareShare on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterShare on Google+Share on LinkedInEmail this to someone

Sign up for the LegalZoom newsletter!

Written by

July 29th, 2014 at 10:33 am

Posted in Free Joe

Tagged with